Since 2004 Blackland Prairie Raptor Center has a mission of “environmental preservation through public education and the conservation of birds of prey and wildlife in their natural habitat“. By engaging more than 250,000 North Texans in interactions with our raptor ambassadors, BPRC has demonstrated the value of raptors and our native habitat, both crucial to conservation.The ‘Builds its Nest’ program goal is to develop a facility necessary to fulfill our mission and values while adhering to the strict requirements of USFWS and TPWD in regard to these birds that are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. BPRC is officially launching the third and final phase of its ‘Builds its Nest’ capital campaign in 2014, fulfilling its founding purpose by adding to its education and conservation initiatives – a raptor rehabilitation center. A soft launch began in 2013 targeting requirements of Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and U. S. Fish and Wildlife Services: a facility for intake, assessment and triage as well as species appropriate caging, staged for various levels of recovery and conditioning.
Our Campaign Goal is $265,000
1) to fund operations for the first three years
2) to create a hospital for the initial care and treatment of the patients received,
3) to build outdoor flight cages necessary for each species of raptors in North Texas to get ‘flight training’ before release.
BPRC looks forward to starting bird of prey – hawks, falcons, owls, etc. – rehabilitation. A necessary immediate goal of $125,000 will supply basic requirements for raptor rehabilitation: food, medicine, veterinary services, and a part time staff for three years.
The Building Plan
1. Accipiter Flight cages
2. Medium Bird Flight cages
3. Small Bird Limited Activity and Flight cages.
8. Administration Building (existing)
9. Rehabilitation Hospital (needs equipment)
10. Education Raptor Mews (existing)
11. Equipment cleaning platform (existing)
4. Airlock/Limited Activity cages for large birds
5. Large Bird Flight cages
6. Eagle Flight cage
7. Storage/building materials area