Scout Projects at the Blackland Prairie Raptor Center
More than 90 Eagle Scout and Girl Scout Gold Award projects have been completed at BPRC. These have included construction of trails, bridges, and gardens as well as making travel boxes for our education ambassadors or signage throughout the facility.
Eagle Scout Projects
Eagle Scout is the highest achievement or rank attainable in the Boy Scouting program of the Scouts (BSA). Only a small percentage of Boy Scouts are granted this rank after a lengthy review process.
Eagle Scout Service Project Process
- Review and understand your Troop’s, Council’s and National BSA requirements for an Eagle Scout Service Project.
- Review and understand the BSA Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook.
- Contact Carey Hardesty, Scout Project Coordinator, at [email protected] or (469) 964-9696. He will go over possible projects with you.
- Once you have met with the Scout Project Coordinator you have 30 days to notify him of your selection of a project.
- You will receive a Memorandum of Understanding which details the expectations of your project.
- All questions relating to your project should be directed to the Scout Project Coordinator.
- Scouts are responsible for all equipment, materials and supplies as needed for each project.
- You will have 6 months to complete the project. If there are circumstances beyond your control (weather, etc.) that can be discussed with the Scout Project Coordinator. There is a time limit as we get many requests and will not hold a project longer than that so we can give another scout the opportunity.
Girl Scout Gold and Silver Awards
The Gold Award is the highest achievement within the Girl Scouts of the USA, earned by Senior and Ambassador Girl Scouts. Only very small percentage of eligible Girl Scouts successfully earn the Gold Award. The Silver Award is the second highest award of the Girl Scouts of the USA, and the highest award that a Girl Scout Cadette can earn. Only Cadette Scouts ages 11–14 or in grades 6-8 can earn the Silver Award. Girl Scouts have completed both Gold and Silver Awards at Blackland Prairie Raptor Center.
Interested Girl Scouts should confer with their leader regarding requirements for these awards. If you select BPRC for your Gold Award project, please contact Carey Hardesty, Scout Project Coordinator, at [email protected] or 469.964.9696 to begin the process.