Join the Blackland Prairie Raptor Center volunteer team!
Work with compassionate and dedicated like-minded people to keep our mission thriving.
The Blackland Prairie Raptor Center is committed to providing the most efficient use of manpower on matching a volunteer’s talents and skills to appropriate services to be rendered. Volunteers assist with educational programming, fieldwork, daily care of rehab patients and avian ambassadors, administrative tasks, and more. Our goal is to provide volunteers with rewarding learning opportunities and experiences that advance raptor conservation through education & training, land restoration, and raptor rehabilitation.
The Blackland Prairie Raptor Center must develop and maintain a responsible program of volunteer participation because of the following:
- as a non-profit, the Blackland Prairie Raptor Center does not have sufficient resources to meet all financial and service needs.
- it has been repeatedly demonstrated that volunteers significantly enhance, expand and upgrade service. With effective recruitment, screening, training and supervision, volunteers perform nearly any task effectively and responsibly.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Education & Training: clean avian ambassador enclosures, raptor food preparation, feed avian ambassadors, support the operations to resident mouse house, present at education programs, lead trail walks, and support ambassador training (with previous experience and/or training).
- Rehabilitation: support the rehabilitation needs of sick, injured and orphaned birds of prey, includes handling and treating patients (with training and approval). Additional responsibilities include laundry, cleaning hospital/clinic surfaces and flooring, washing kennels and maintaining outdoor flight cages.
- Park Maintenance: maintain trail system, amphitheater, lake overlook, bridges, and lawn areas.
- Conservation and Restoration: weed, hand-pulling/digging, herbicide treatments with hand-held and backpack sprayers and tree and shrub removals to protect and restore The Blackland Prairie Raptor Center’s 66-acre property.
- Operations and Maintenance: support regular campus maintenance and special building projects.
General requirements for Blackland Prairie Raptor Center volunteers:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be willing to commit to a regular schedule
- Some tasks may require a valid driver’s license with a good driving record and proof of car insurance.
- Must pass a criminal background check
- All NEW volunteers are required to attend a new volunteer orientation.
Use the links/buttons below to make payments for our required background check and optional volunteer t-shirt.