There’s no better way to learn about the birds of prey in North Texas than to meet them in person!
Interested in a program or have questions, please click on the Program/Event Request form at the bottom of this page
Blackland Prairie Raptor Center’s birds of prey have many years of experience introducing children and adults to the world of raptors. These hawks, owls and falcons are well trained, and with the assistance of BPRC education specialists, show you what makes them an important part of our environment. We also have owl pellets for sale!
The presentations, approximately 45 minutes long are at your location and are available to all schools, homeschool groups, youth organizations, libraries, scouts and much more. Each year we present to more than 30,000 people. We travel all over North Texas and Oklahoma. Group size can range from a few to a classroom to a whole school. For schools, we recommend no more than 150 at a time and can do back-to-back programs as requested.
Join us at BPRC for a great day of education in a natural setting with Lavon Lake as our backdrop. We have a park with pavilions, an amphitheater, restrooms, and trails. We can offer raptor presentations as well as guided hikes through native Blackland Prairie. The prairie hikes take you through a remnant prairie considered an endangered ecosystem with plants unique to this habitat. Able to accommodate up to 300 for our on-site programs.
Whoo’s There in the Dark?
A fun and educational introduction to raptors for children ages pre-K (minimum age = 4 years old) through Kindergarten. A live owl will visit your classroom to help children discover the mysteries of the night. Where does an owl live, what does an owl eat, and how does it get food? This program designed especially for our youngest naturalists. (prefer smaller group size, <25)
Discover the habits and habitats of the nocturnal raptor of our area. Live owls will visit to illustrate the special adaptations required for night hunting.
Raptors of North Texas!
Day and night the raptors are on patrol. Their mission: in search of a meal. How do they do it? Discover their unique adaptations to hunt in woodland, wetlands and prairies. Raptors of different species and sizes will be used to demonstrate their capabilities. This program is adaptable to all ages.
We do many community events from small Neighborhood Night Out gatherings to large festivals (such as Irish Fest – more than 30,000). It includes a booth with our raptors out at all times to talk to visitors and show them these amazing birds up-close and the option of programs as well.
Requirements and Expectations for Live Raptor Programs
The safety and well-being of our raptors is imperative. By following these guidelines, you will help to keep our birds safe and comfortable and give you an unforgettable experience.
- Floor space of at least 15’ wide x 10’ deep and one 6’ long table (minimum)
- If located outdoors, shade needs to be provided for at least 10’ x 10’ of the space.
- If located indoors, ceiling fans should be off, there should be no moving objects hanging from the ceiling, and if there are large windows, they may need to have shades or blinds.
- For formal programs, a private room is best to keep other distractions at bay and helps maintain a quiet environment for the presenter(s) and our birds.
- We expect that guests demonstrate respectful behavior to our presenter(s) and birds by; listening and following instructions, staying seated for the duration of the program and remaining calm and quiet.
- If program includes all ages, i.e. infants or toddlers less than 4 years old, and they get restless or fussy, we ask that parents step out with their child until they are calm and can come back in.
The day-of-contact person, at the program, is responsible for helping to maintain these expectations.
Additional information for Events:
- If located outdoors, shade needs to be provided for at least 10′ x 10′ of the space.
- If there is music or other loud sounds occurring at the event, please place us as far way as possible from the noise.
- Before the event, we may request photos of the venue or space of where you’d like us to be.
- The day-of-contact person, at the event, needs to be easily accessible for any issues or concerns that may arise.
We have owl pellets for sale. They are sterilized and ready for your students or groups to take apart to see what owls eat. Cost is $1 each (plus shipping). Please email email@example.com to place an order.